Breast reduction surgery, also referred to as a reduction mammaplasty, is a cosmetic surgery procedure designed to decrease the size of the breast by removing excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Breast Reduction?
You may be a good candidate for breast reduction if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pain in your back, neck or shoulder caused by the weight of your breasts
- Shoulder indentations due to tight bras straps from the weight of your breasts
- Breast size is too large in proportion to your body size
- You have heavy, sagging breasts with very low nipples and areolas
- Self-consciousness about the large size of your breasts
- One breast that is much larger than the other
Ideal candidates include women who are looking to reduce the size of their breasts, are healthy and realistic in their expectations, and are aware of all risks and benefits of the procedure.
Although a breast reduction can be performed at any age, surgeons usually recommend waiting until breast development has stopped. Childbirth and breast-feeding may affect the size and shape of your breasts. If you plan to breast-feed in the future, you should discuss this with your surgeon.
Patient satisfaction surveys indicate that women who have surgical breast reduction rank the highest in satisfaction. If you are a woman with overly large breasts and feel you would appreciate smaller, firmer breasts, you may benefit from this procedure. With the ability to wear a greater variety of clothing and styles, you may also find an improved self-image. Many women have reported that they find a new freedom in their physical life and less stress in their emotional life.