A popular surgery, lip augmentation uses a variety of materials to create fuller-looking lips and help reduce the appearance of folds and wrinkles in the mouth area. These include:
- Radiance injections — Consisting of calcium hydroxlapatite suspended in a polysaccharide gel, Radiance is very similar to a tissue that occurs naturally in the teeth and bones.
- Collagen injections — These provide temporary solutions for lip augmentation, but require repeat treatments to maintain results, as the materials are eventually absorbed into the body. Collagen results generally lasts 3-4 months.
- Fat injections — This solution lasts slightly longer but can be more unpredictable. In some cases, it can result in lumping and scarring.
- Synthetic implants — A permanent, low-risk solution for lip augmentation involves the use of Gore-Tex material, which the human body seems to tolerate well.
- Inserts that use some amount of donated skin — Unlike non-surgical, injection-based forms of lip augmentation, lip inserts require about one week for recovery, and allergies have been known to occur.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Lip Augmentation?
If you have thin or virtually no lips, or lips that have loss volume or acquired fine lines and wrinkles over the years, you may be considering a lip augmentation. Many people qualify for lip augmentations but ideal candidates are non-smokers (smoking can affect results) who are in good health and free of issues such as oral herpes, severe allergies or diabetes.
If it’s your first time getting a lip augmentation, or you are just experimenting with it, you may want to opt for an injectable filler such as collagen over an insert or implant. While filler maintenance is more frequent, this solution allows you more flexibility with your results. Implants are more appropriate for those who desire a long-term or permanent solution. Your surgeon can help you discuss your options and find a solution that works for both your expectations and your schedule.
The main benefit of a lip augmentation is a set of fuller, more sensual lips. This procedure can also help fill age-related creases around the lip, lending a more youthful appearance.